Falls on or from stairs is the leading cause of death due to residential falls, according to the Home Safety Council. Below are a few things you should do so that your home is safer from falls.
1. You should have handrails on each side of the stairs and steps.
2. Have a lot of light at the top and bottom of the stairs.
3. Be sure the stairs are clear of toys or other objects.
4. It is easy to mistake the bottom step which could make you lose your balance and fall,
so you should paint the bottom basement step white to make it clearer.
5. If you have young children in the house you should use safety gates at the top and bottom of the stairs.
6. Carry small loads up and down the stairs, always hold onto the handrail.
7. If you have rugs at the top or bottom of your stairs be sure to tape them down or just get rid of them because it is very easy to trip on them.
8. Finally, if you have steps outside of your home always keep them clear of objects and always be sure to keep snow and ice off as well.