Carbon Monoxide commonly referred to as “CO” is an odorless and colorless gas that can cause serious injury by death or asphyxiation. Unfortunately nearly every year hundreds of people in the United States die from carbon monoxide produced by appliances such as furnaces, water heaters, room heaters, ranges and generators. Other people have been killed while burning charcoal inside their home, garage, vehicle or tent. Other people have died as a result of recreational use of lanterns, heaters, and cook stoves in a confined space such as the back of a vehicle, RV or tent. Other people have died from CO produced by cars left running in garages.
As colder weather approaches, there are certain precautions that you should take to protect you and your family from potential injury by carbon monoxide. First, have a professional inspect your in home appliances which are fuel burning. In particular check your furnace and gas water heaters to ensure that they are operating correctly and are properly vented.
You can look for problems in venting by checking for appropriate air flow or any holes that might allow carbon monoxide to leak in to the home rather than being expelled through a pipe or chimney. It is also important to ensure that you have carbon monoxide detectors in your home so that you can detect the threat if carbon monoxide is present. Because carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless it is not possible for people to detect carbon monoxide by smell or sight.
If a carbon monoxide leak develops because of a manufacturers defect, or the negligence of someone who installed your appliances then a carbon monoxide detector is your last line of defense to protect yourself and your family. Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed in every bedroom and on every floor to provide adequate warning.
If a carbon monoxide detector alarms you should quickly move to fresh air and call for assistance.
Hopefully these tips will keep everyone safe.
If you or a family member have been diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning, or you have lost a loved one because of carbon monoxide poison you may have a case against an installer, maintenance person or manufacture of the product producing carbon monoxide. There may also be a case if a carbon monoxide detector failed to warn you or your family of the presence of carbon monoxide risks and a person was injured or killed.
For free consultation contact the law firm of Tatlow, Gump, Faiella & Wheelan, LLC. 1-800-264-3455